The contacts are stored in Outlook express in DBX file. It is a free email client which comes distributed with internet explorer 6. The data such as contacts, emails, notes etc. are stored in DBX files. The Outlook express allows users to check emails using both IMAP and POP connection type. Like other email clients, the contacts in Outlook express get lost due to various reasons. But Outlook express lost contacts can be recovered manually which is an advantage of this utility.
The contacts when get deleted from Outlook express they usually move to the deleted items folder. This is the folder from where deleted contacts can get back. But what if contacts are deleted from this folder too. This happens when contacts are deleted long time ago or are deleted by pressing Shift + Del key combination. The question now arises is how contacts deleted from deleted items folder can now be recovered.
The contacts are stored locally in a WAB( windows address book) file in DBX file. If you have backed up your contacts in.WAB file then they can easily be recovered using manual methods.
Steps to recover Outlook express address book manually:
1. First, enable "show hidden files and folders".
2. Open windows explorer to C:\ Documents and settings folder.
3. Then using CTRL + F open a search window.
4.Now in top most search bar type.WAB and press search option.
5. The files with.WAB extension will be available here like name.wab, contacts.wab etc.
6. Take a copy of the contacts folder and place it on the desktop. Rename this folder and open it by double click to check whether it contains deleted or missing contacts.
7. Now open Outlook express and the select tool then move to address book( WAB) from the address book menu.
8. Now here click the backup copy of address book of Outlook express.
9. Finally, click on open and then click OK.
To save time and perform quick recovery windows address book recovery software can also be used. These software recover contacts from corrupted WAB file. The deleted contacts from WAB file can be recovered smoothly without data loss. These software recover contacts in VCF(VCard file ) formats. But before deciding upon any software carefully examine all its features and functionality. You can get to know about the features and functionality through related online help manual of the tool. It would be better if the tool has demo free version available because it would help to know features better before making a purchase.