Software Deployment Question
Ideas on grouping computers for patching
I have a ton of computers at a bunch of sites and remote home offices. Just looking for ideas on ways to automatically group computers for patching other than grouping them by site or something that changes often. I would probably like to split them into 5 or more groups.
I was originally thinking I would make 5 Smart Labels, but then I was thinking it might not be great because the IPs move around a lot when they travel:
- Patch Group 1 - IP ends in 0 or 1 -->> Scheduled for Monday
- Patch Group 2 - IP ends in 2 or 3 -->> Scheduled for Tuesday
- Patch Group 3 - IP ends in 4 or 5 -->> Scheduled for Wednesday
- Patch Group 1 - IP ends in 6 or 7 -->> Scheduled for Thursday
- Patch Group 1 - IP ends in 8 or 9 -->> Scheduled for Friday
What are some of the ideas you use to space out the patching schedules that does not involve any manual intervention?