Just confused- proper upgrade path?
Hello all, new to managing an existing KACE appliance and trying to figure out what is necessary to get our KACE setup up to date. We have server version 11.1.264 with agent version 126.96.36.199. I'm confused because I was told our appliance has been updated for years without ever needing to be redeployed. I think I read that if you haven't redeployed a new appliance since version 7 we may have issues? Is that true? Or is it just as simple as hitting the update button in the KACE Settings menu for each release until we get up to version 13?
Thank you for any assistance!
It really depends.
Older appliances may have an old storage layout which would cause you to redeploy.
Also old appliance don't have some security features like full encryption, which also should be redeployed. But if you run into some of these issues you will get the info that you have to redeploy.
As long as it works well, no need to redeploy, but I suggest to plan it anyways.
Important: keep in mind that you need also update your agents regulary
But return to the upgrade path:
from 11.1 you go to 12.0 (also EOL, but important step).
After the appliance is on 12.0 you also update the agent bundle to 12.0 and let do the KACE the agent upgrade.
If ~90% of your agents are on 12.0 then go to 12.1.
With 12.1 you have (as of today) a supported version.
You CAN update the agents too but since you go the next step soon you can skip it.
Then you upgrade to 13.0 and then also upgrade the agent bundle and let the appliance do the magic with agent update.
A more detailed one is (also can be seen in the release notes)
1. offboard a current backup (Settings | Backup)
2. download the 12.0 server update here: https://support.quest.com/kace-systems-management-appliance/12.0/download-new-releases (KACE Systems Management Appliance Server 12.0.150 ) or if your box offers the upgrade simply click it. (Settings | Appliance Update )
3. get a coffee and let the upgrade run. This can run for a long time depending on your size of the appliance. There are one or more reboots.
4. after it has been updated, you repeat this with the two security patches.
5. you download the Agent Bundle (KACE Systems Management Appliance 12.0.39 Agent Bundle ) from the above page and upload it to Settings | Provisioning | Agent Update in all orgs if you have an orgs box, or in the global one if you have the default appliance. Enable it and choose the right labels and/or all devices (labels can be used if you want to test the agent before on some machines)
6. Repeat 1-5 for 12.1 (you can skip the agent update for 12.1 for now, but need to use the hotfix anyways)
7. Repeat 1-5 for 13.0 (here you also need to update agents again)
8. you are done
If you are unsure you can always contact support for help.