Lexia EXE distribution not working, MSI is
We have about 1,800 machines with Lexia education software 7.0.0 installed. Their license has run out, and needs to be updated to 9.0.0. by this weekend. They have an MSI and EXE update available on their website. The MSI works fine, but once installed, leaves 7.0.0 in the add/remove programs area, which then throws off KACE inventory since it still shows 7.0.0 installed in additon to 9.0.0. However, if I do an EXE upgrade with silent switches, it works fine manually via batch file. BUT - when I set a distribution to the EXE file with configure manually, it doesn't even copy the files over to the machine. We have replication servers setup, but that shouldn't matter. If I set the distribution as MSI, it wil create a folder in the C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\downloads folder....but if I set the EXE, or even zip up the EXE, and distribute, nothing happens at all, other than a failed install. It doesn't even copy the EXE or ZIP file over to the machine.
Any ideas? I'd rather do the EXE way since the EXE upgrade does it correctly where it only shows 9.0.0 installed...but the MSI shows 7.0.0 and 9.0.0 even though the program is fully upgraded to 9.0.0. I can still make do with the MSI upgrade, but it will throw inventory off in KACE for the 5,000 total machines that we have...almost 1,800 will show 7.0.0 when they've already been updated.
Any ideas why I can't use EXE for some reason?
1) are you sure the exe does not contain the same MSI installer inside it?
2) if you're sure the update was done completely you can always try deleting the registry keys in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and in HKCR\Installer\Products that relate to the previous version to get rid of the ARP entries
3) if the installer for the previous version was also an MSI, doublecheck the Upgrade table in the new version to make sure the entries would correctly update the old version. If it wasn't an MSI maybe there's a CustomAction doing the uninstalling.
Update - sorry I mentioend that the MSI shows 9.0.0 installed. It shows 9.0.0 installed locally on the machine, but for some reason KACE doesn't pick it up as an installed program. Still shows 7.0.0 as the only installed program, which is very bad for inventory purposes...as we'll obviously have to update this program again in the future and we won't know whether or not the program is 7.0.0 or 9.0.0.