Office ProPlus 2010 answer msp file not working to supress completion notice
Weird as it is, I'm having a huge ammount of troubles with Office ProPlus 2010 OCT, and it seems related to my msp not being read as it should. Here's what I'm doing:
I took Office's media to my dev machines, ran the OCT through Setup /admin and made all my configurations (I choosed not to use the config.xml for this since there's a bunch of settings on Features>Modify user settings that I was to keep/adapt from Office 2007 that weren't modifyiable through the xml)
- Set display level to Basic
- Completion notice = Unchecked
- Suppress modal = Checked
- No Cancel = Checked
- Set the "Remove previous installations" to Default Setup behaviour; earlier versions of installed programs are removed"
- Added Setup properties: "SETUP_REBOOT=Never", "HIDEUPDATEUI=True", "AUTO_ACTIVATE=1" (I was given a MAK key, so I also added it into the licensing screen),
- Removed the first-run "Recommended settings dialog" thing by enabling "Features>Modify user settings>Microsoft Office 2010>Miscellaneous>Suppress recommended settings dialog"
- Configured a bunch more of options that the previous installation of office (2007) had into the "Features" section, in order to keep things consistent
- Added 8 HKCU registry keys that the previous install had into the "Add registry entries" section of the OCT:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CTF] "Disable Thread Input Manager"=0x00000001 DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar] "ExtraIconsMinimized"=0x00000000" DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar] "ShowStatus"=0x00000002" DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CTF\MSUTB] "ShowDeskBand"=0x00000001" DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\General] "Authorized"=0x00009904" DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\General] "ShowOptIn"=0x00000001" DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Groove] "ShellToolbarSaved"=0x00000001" DWORD
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\User Settings\Product code] "Count"=0x00000001" DWORD
I placed the msp into the "[Office 2010 source media folder]\Updates" subfolder. There were already a bunch of other msp in there, but none were OCT created (I believe those were legit Office patches) since I couldn't open any of them with the OCT.
I then wrapped the whole thing on an wse wrapper that creates a very basic install log, stops antivirus, checks if Office 2010 is already installed (and removes it silently with a SilentUninstallconfig.xml that I made if it is), removes some Excel and Word third-party software that's integrated with 2007 (msiexec /x), executes %INST%\setup.exe, validates that the install took place (and if it didn't, it passes an error code to the software distribution tool and exits), copies the same SilentUninstallconfig.xml to a local folder, sets Nomodify=1 and UninstallString="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /uninstall PROPLUS /config "[Path to the xml]\SilentUninstallconfig.xml"
The post-install reboot is handled through the deployment tool (Altiris deployment server), and the environment (both in my dev machine and in production) is XP SP3
The package is supposed to be ran against existing 2007 installations; remove them, and place 2010 ProPlus instead.
I tested it on my dev VM and it worked like a charm, including the 07 replacement, but when I tested it on a production machine, I was getting the "Choose the installation you want" dialog screen where it asks if you want to Upgrade or Customize! Like if there wasn't any answer file. I tried then modifying the execute command on my wrapper to %INST%\setup.exe /adminfile "%INST%\Updates\MyMsp.msp" and it did let me pass the install launch dialog, but it gave me a completion notice (if I clicked "Close" the machine didn't reboot, so I assume at least that part was read).
I then bypassed my wrapper entirely and ran the setup directly from commandline with the /adminfile switch on a newly imaged prod-machine: Same result, got the completion notice. It thought that maybe using the same name for my msp that the name the previous packager used for the 07 msp was being an issue, so I changed the name and moved the msp to the main folder (at the same level of Setup.exe instead of the Updates folder), and tried again: Same result, got the friggin completion notice dialog.
At this time I'm running out of ideas and time is getting short (specially because testing on a prod-machine involves re-imaging it, making that each test takes up to 2 hours), so please, Oh packaging gurus I beg thy help! A beer and my eternal tanks is on the table for any help! :)
TL:DR - I created an msp on OCT set to basic display level that works like a charm on my dev (clean) machine, but when moving it to prod, it still gives me the completion notice dialog.
Yesterday I tried making the msp directly into the production machine (although it doesn't seem likely that it can afect anything) and it still displays that completion notice.
Also tried making a config.xml to control only the display settings, but none of the other configurations in the msp were taken. This makes sense since it seems you can't take both approaches at the same time (config.xml and OCT), but at this point it was worth the try.
Also tried removing the spaces from the network path were I was executing it from. It used to read: \\[server]\[share]\[subfolder]\Microsoft Office 2010\06_Script\Setup.exe, now it's \\[server]\[share]\[subfolder]\Microsoft_Office_2010\06_Script\Setup.exe, but it didn't work (tried it with the /adminfile switch even though my msp was on the updates folder)